Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Doctor Recommends Dreaming While Awake

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt






photo-mine, old house,dance studio
I am suddenly longing for more space, wide open living spaces like in our former french home which you have seen on my blog in the past. Perhaps it is because, we know now we will have lots of spring and summer visits, family sized visits. Hence, I found myself actually scoping out homes for sale in our tiny village. I call this, a type of window shopping. I only look at the photos on line and do not want to move again. I would like to be able to renovate our grenier, (attic) which has 5 large windows and gorgeous beams, old tiles and a friendly bat. Right ,I suppose he would have to find a home elsewhere because I am not fond of flying things in the night, I do not know about you?

It seems counterintuitive to consider any renovation work for various reasons, mostly the ole' bank account, but also the sense that the world has changed. There is a feeling, at least to me, that the world has contracted and as such it is only reponsible to appreciate this climate. Oh, sure I can window shop and gather lovely photos of inspiring spaces and be patient. All in good time. I sense I missed that lesson -patience- I sense many of my generation and the ones that came later have become accustomed to instant gratification.

McDonald's fast pace, is not model for life in general. That is why living in France has forced me to slow down. You can not do anything, or nearly anything, during lunch hours or on Sundays- just relax ,eat well, nap perhaps, enjoy family and friends. Having worked those long hours I loved and told you about during my pediatric practice, I have found the change in pace both relieving and yet unsettling. Still it is ok to dream, in fact dreaming awake and asleep is healthy for the soul.










Tell me what do you dream about? Are they dreams about places, things or experiences? Of course there is no correct answer for this- just fun to think about and share. Have a great day!

photos credit-Figaro.fr

11 comments:

  1. I could while away days viewing french houses! Having a place in France would be a dream come true!

    I think people are perfectly entitled to spend if they have the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dream of being young and often of old houses I lived in. They are always bigger and have hidden rooms I never knew were there when I lived there.

    I very much enjoyed this post and the dreaming while awake philosophy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MDS,
    I agree that it is great fun to while away the time looking at French houses- they contain a kind of mystery, I did not see in the homes on the East Coast of the USA. Also, I love the fact that the houses do not look picture perfect- there is a lived in appearance that reassures me that my house does not have to be sterile-
    Also, yes- if people have money it is super for them to spend,as some of my friends do, because that is a stimulus- :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meridith,
    so kind of you to stop by- I too, love those dreams of old houses with hidden spaces, doors, and undiscovered rooms-kind of like secret treasures unfolding! I do love your cute photo ,too!
    Salut du Midi!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my first dream about blogging last night! Oh NO! When you have a moment could you stop by my site? - There is something there for you!
    Best,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks you for visitng and following my blog ;) A bientot - (sorry, not accents on my keyboard)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic images! And I love your old studio. Many thanks.

    Greetings from London.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello again -
    I tried on several occasions to become a follower but it keeps telling me it cannot get a feed. I will try again!
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  9. Catherine,
    Thank you so very much for visiting and do tell what was the dream about blogging? Merci for the lovely award! I am off to read up on favorite blogs which I missed while sick...Salut du midi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A Cuban in London,
    Salut and thanks for stopping by after your travels during the school vacation- I dare say, I would have rather been in the tropical sun than be in virus- ville with the family being sick over our break- alas, I am happy to imagine it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeannette,
    The feeling is mutual- thanks for visiting !

    ReplyDelete