Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Strikes and fonctionaires




Ok,so I did the lazy,I do not want get out of my car/golf cart sized vehicle to pump my own gazole thing and was running on fumes to take my youngest to school when I began to detect long lines at all Petrol stations!
hoorah for electric cars!!!
***
Alas, huffing under my breath that Bush and his cronies at Haliburton( spell much?) have struck another deal with the oil mongers to raise the price of oil to 130$ a barrel, I sighed " great another day of feeling ashamed of the USA's policies which inconvenience the rest of the world "
-huh,down another couple more streets, an illegal U-rurn and I am still noting the lines getting longer at each new station! So when I finally stopped it took me only an hour to reach the pump to find out that my lane had no more gazole! eeek!

I cleverly asked a kind and stylish french woman if she would let me back up into her lane to access her pump- et viola, diplomacy and human connections worked ...then after filling my tank, miniscule that it is for a mere 80usd ,I reached into my trunk to offer her a smashing reusable shopping bag with chic lipstick covered smiles in various shades! She was delighted as ,was I- kindness being passed on in the midst of chaos and panic. You never know when an few extra gifts in the trunk will come in handy?

You see in France there are strikes by all transit related businesses, as well as the unhappy fonctionaires and sanctions by the fisherman and mariners because the price of gas has risen so steeply infringing on profits and increasing expenses. True activism at its best even if rather inconvenient. So get this, to make a point the fisherman/mariners have blocked all the ports where the petrol arrives to coerce the government with true French dramatic flame that their rights have been messed with- kind of like the docs in the USA blocking entry of medications at hospitals and pharmacies bec/ the rights of patients and folks who care for them are being threatened....hum, bold moves,yes, effective? yes...the mariners just recieved some 47million euros in gov funds and created enormous awareness with their antics!

so to relax I took a gander at some fun and well worth visiting blogs:they are coming to France too- intelligent and well read ,talented expats to shake up the norm here!
According to b
Funtions of Time

4 comments:

  1. You are very sweet! Thank you!

    Speaking of Smart Cars, they are in Seattle as of last year. Frankly I love these cars, but I don't think our area is really urban enough for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the mention. So very kind of you.

    Gas prices are ridiculous. What I love most about this post is your lovely interaction at the petrol station, giving that woman the "smashing reusable shopping bag"!! :) You are truly a gift to this world, Dancing Doc!! I love those pay it forward moments and even more so, the people who eagerly engage in them, aware of the tremendous connection it forms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so very much for visiting,it really makes my day to have your feedback,and so sweet too, w/out someone reflecting back to us ,it can often feel far too disconnected- and I agree: this world needs more connections,more pay it forward,perhaps that is what I miss most about not practicing pediatrics- the unconditional giving which usually comes back w/dividends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love our Prius! We hate to leave it in the states. It is so nice to only to have to go the gas station once a month. He-weasel really wants to get a Smart car once we are in France. I hear it is not a great car to drive.

    And, I think you have great taste in blogs. B and F.O.T. are two of my favorite Francophile bloggers!!

    ReplyDelete